Avocado and Black Bean Salad
We love this tangy, colorful salad as a side dish for burgers or tacos—but if you scoop it up with chips and call it salsa, that’s fine too! Kids Advisory board member Abigail added mango to hers for “flavor and brightness.” What would you add?
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tablespoon olive orvegetable oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- teaspoon salt
- 1/2 red onion or 3 scallions, chopped (if you like)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil leaves (if you like)
- 1 large ripe tomato, cored and chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
Put the beans, oil, lime juice, garlic, and salt in the bowl and mix well.
Add the onion and herbs (if using) and the tomato and mix again. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
Add the avocados just before serving.
Add one or all of the following:
- 1/2 cup fresh, frozen (thawed), or canned corn kernels
- 6 radishes, trimmed and sliced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), seeded and diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and diced