This is a classic summer side dish. We don’t usually call for bags of vegetables that are already cut, but we make an exception for coleslaw because it’s tricky to cut cabbage very thinly. If you want to give it a try, shred 1/2 head of green or red cabbage and 1 carrot for this recipe.
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white or rice vinegar
- 1 heaping teaspoon mustard (any kind you like)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) bag shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (if you like)
Put the yogurt, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in the bowl and mix well.
Add the coleslaw mix and parsley (if using) and mix again. Taste the coleslaw. Does it need more salt, pepper, mustard, or vinegar? Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- • Nutty Coleslaw: Add 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts.
- • Mustardy Coleslaw: Double the mustard.
- • Seedy Coleslaw: Top with 1/4 cup poppy or sesame seeds, or a combination.
- • Fruity Coleslaw: Mix in a small chopped apple.