Green Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
This rich, creamy dressing makes a great dip for raw vegetables, but here we’re using it to dress a simple green salad.
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 scallions, roots trimmed off, green and white parts chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 1teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and cut or torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled (if you like) and diced
- 4 radishes, sliced (if you like)
To make the dressing:
Put the avocado, yogurt, scallions, vinegar or lemon juice, and garlic in the blender or food processor fitted with the steel blade. Put the top on and process until smooth.
Add the olive oil, parsley or basil, tarragon, and salt and process until completely blended. Taste the dressing on a piece of lettuce. Does it need more vinegar? A pinch of salt? If so, add it, then blend again.
To make the salad:
Put the lettuce, cucumber, and radishes (if using) in the bowl, drizzle on about one-third of the dressing, and toss with the tongs. Taste a piece of lettuce and add more dressing to the salad if it needs it. Refrigerate the leftover dressing in the lidded container for up to 3 days.