Cornmeal Griddle Cakes
These tasty little cakes are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside—like a cross between grits and pancakes. And you can serve them sweet or savory (see our tips below).
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk or buttermilk
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Crack the eggs into the bowl, add the milk or buttermilk, and mix well. Add the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix until the ingredients are just combined.
Put the skillet on the stove and set the heat to medium. When the skillet is hot (a drop of water flicked onto its surface should immediately sizzle and evaporate), add half the oil.
Use a 1/4-cup measure to add scoops of batter to the skillet, each about 2 inches wide. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter. Serve right away.
• For a savory meal, serve the griddle cakes topped with shredded cheese, yogurt, salsa, and/or chopped fresh herbs.
• If you prefer sweet, serve with maple syrup, yogurt, applesauce, and/or fresh berries.