In the 1950s, Steve Hanson served a special new dressing at Hidden Valley Ranch, his California dude ranch. Now it’s the most popular salad dressing in the United States! Ranch dressing is typically made with mayonnaise, buttermilk, and herbs, but we like our yogurt-based version even better. Drizzle it over a green salad or serve it as a dip with carrots, cucumbers, or celery.
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard (any kind you like)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced (or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill or parsley leaves or chives (or 1 teaspoon dried dill)
Put all the ingredients in the bowl and mix well. Now taste the dressing on a leaf of lettuce or a carrot stick: does it need more vinegar or herbs or a pinch of salt? If so, add it, then taste again.
Use right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.