Corny Tomato Pasta Salad
As much as we love this pasta salad, we also love how versatile the corn-and-tomato mixture is! You can stir it into a bowl of rice to make a rice salad, or serve it on its own as a gorgeous salad or salsa.
- 2 cups fresh raw corn kernels (3 to 4 ears), or 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped or 2 pints (4 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or vinegar (any kind)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 pound whole-wheat pasta shapes (such as fusilli or penne), cooked, drained and cooled
Put the corn, tomatoes, red onion, basil, olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar, garlic, and salt in the bowl and mix well. Set aside for 30 minutes. (You can cook the pasta while the vegetables are sitting.)
Add the pasta, and mix well.
Serve right away.
Add 1⁄2 cup shredded Parmesan or diced mozzarella when you stir in the cooked pasta.
Want salsa or salad instead? Skip the pasta, cut the tomatoes the same size as the corn kernels, and, if you like, add a can of drained and rinsed black beans.
Don’t like onions? Leave them out! That’s what Kids Advisory Board member Toria Frederick does.