Zesty Carrot Salad
This is a simple salad — a classic in France — that makes the most of the sweetness and crunch of the carrots. It makes a wonderful side dish for any meal you’d typically serve with slaw.
- 1 pound carrots, scrubbed, and grated or shredded
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves or chopped leafy carrot tops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Put all the ingredients in the bowl and mix well. Now taste the salad. Does it need more parsley, lemon juice, mustard, or a pinch of salt or pepper? If so, add it and taste again.
Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to overnight.
- 1/2 pound zucchini or apples for 1/2 pound carrots.
- lime, grapefruit, or orange juice for the lemon juice.
- chopped fresh basil, cilantro, or mint leaves for the parsley leaves or carrot tops.
- Make it Nutty: Sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or almonds.
- Make it Seedy: Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin or sesame seeds.
- Make it Substantial: Add 2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans).
- Make it Sweet: Add 1/4 cup raisins, dried cranberries, or currants.
- Make it Sharp: Add 4 scallions (green onions), greens and whites, thinly sliced.
- Make it Creamy: Add 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste) and/or plain yogurt.