Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
A quesadilla is like a Mexican grilled cheese sandwich — with tortillas instead of bread. Serve this with salsa, if you like!
- 2 8-inch whole-grain tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup grated Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup canned or cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup canned or frozen corn, drained or thawed as needed
- 2 scallions, greens and whites, thinly sliced
Put the tortillas on the cutting board and sprinkle half the cheese over half of each one.
Put the beans, corn, and scallions in the mixing bowl, and mix well with the spoon.
Sprinkle half the bean and corn mixture over the cheese on each tortilla, then fold the tortilla to make a half-moon shape.
Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium-low. Add the quesadillas and press down gently with the spatula. Cook until they are spotty brown and crisp and the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes per side.
Put them on the cutting board and cut into wedges. Serve right away.
• a spoonful of plain yogurt
• a sprinkle of fresh, leafy herbs such as cilantro, basil, or chives
• a dash of hot sauce
• a handful of baby spinach