Winter Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
We call this a “winter salad” because it uses cabbage, a cold-season vegetable, and citrus, which is grown during the winter months.
Prep Time 30 minutes mins
Total Time 40 minutes mins
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Clean jar with tight-fitting lid
Salad servers or tongs
Box grater (adult needed)
- For the Orange Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1⁄4 head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 orange, peeled and pulled apart into sections
- 1⁄2 cup toasted green pumpkin seeds (or another toasted seed or nut)
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese or crumbled feta cheese
Make the Orange Vinaigrette: Put all the vinaigrette ingredients in the jar, screw the lid on tightly, and shake until well mixed.
Make the Salad: Put all the salad ingredients in the bowl, add half the vinaigrette, and toss well. Taste a piece of lettuce. Does it need more dressing? If so, add it and toss again.
Serve right away. Leftover dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
To make the vinaigrette even more orangey, grate a little of the orange zest into it before you juice the orange!