Why Cooking Together is More Important Than Ever
September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month. We are all familiar with the alarming statistics (1 in 3 children in the United States is are overweight or obese) and the health risks associated with obesity. Here at ChopChop, we believe that cooking and eating together as a family is vital to every family’s health and happiness. By teaching kids to cook real food, we set them up for a lifetime of wellness. Here are a few ideas to help you and your family establish healthy habits to last a lifetime:
Make small changes
- Keep fresh fruit and vegetables within reach for easy snacking
- Try some of these snack recipes with your family:
Get in the kitchen
- Cook with the entire family! Pledge for your family to cook at least 3 times a week together.
- Join ChopChop Cooking Club—a free online cooking club for kids that teaches essential cooking skills and recipes!
Promote a healthy lifestyle in and outside your home
- Not all school lunches are created equal! Frequently check what your school is offering for lunch. Better yet—pack your own lunch from home!
- Pre-pack cold lunches and healthy snacks for the week in a separate section of your refrigerator
- Here are some of our favorite school lunch recipes:
Toasted Barley and Black Bean Salad
Avocado, Sardine and Veggie Sandwich