Tomato Salad with Basil and Feta Cheese
Nothing says “summer” like a sun-warmed, fresh tomato you grew yourself. If you have a little patch of dirt or a sunny place to put a big pot, make this the summer to try it.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Serrated knife (adult needed)
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- Put the tomatoes, feta, and basil in the bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to overnight.
If you don’t like feta cheese, try substituting diced mozzarella, cheddar, or some grated Parmesan.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon curry powder.
- Swap in fresh peaches or nectarines, pitted and diced, for two of the tomatoes.
- Add 1-2 cups white beans or chickpeas.