Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burgers
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burger
What’s your favorite way to eat a burger? With or without lettuce and tomato? Ketchup? On a toasted bun? However you like it, this chewy, sweet, and satisfying veggie burger is a great place to start. Kids Advisory Board recipe tester Amine recommends adding cheese slices to turn these into cheeseburgers.
- Cutting board (adult needed)
- Sharp knife
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Can opener (adult needed)
- Colander or strainer
- Medium Bowl
- Potato masher or fork
- Pot holders
- 1 tsp cooking oil (any kind)
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small sweet potato (about 8 ounces) cooked, cooled, and cubed (you can cook it in the microwave on the “baked potato” setting)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 scallions, roots trimmed off, green and white parts chopped
- 1 tsp vinegar (any kind) or lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 400 degrees. Lightly grease the baking sheet with the oil.
- Put the beans and sweet potato in the bowl and mash until chunky (you should still see some whole beans and pieces of sweet potato). Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten each ball into a patty.
- Once the oven temperature has reached 400 degrees, put the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Using pot holders, carefully remove the sheet from the oven, flip each burger, return the sheet to the oven, and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve right away.
Add any or all of the following before cooking:
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herb, such as parsley, basil, or cilantro (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 minced garlic clove or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder and/or ground cumin