Striped Soup Mix
A pot of soup is not the kind of present you can wrap — but a beautifully layered jar of homemade soup mix is! Plus, you can make a lot of presents at once to use up all those beans.Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- Carefully layer the beans in the jars, using 1/4-cup of each type of bean.
- Put 1 bay leaf in each jar, and screw on the lids.
- Add a ribbon and a gift tag that says:
- Take out the bay leaf.
- Rinse the beans with cold water and then put them in a large pot. Cover them with fresh cold water and soak them overnight.
- Drain the beans, add them back into the pot with 6 cups fresh water or chicken stock, one 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes, 1 clove chopped garlic, and the bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and simmer gently until all the beans are tender, about 2 hours.
- Add salt to taste.