Classic Italian pesto is made with basil, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts, but there are a lot of other herbs, leafy greens, cheeses, and nuts that work as well. Here, we’re using spinach, feta, and walnuts — but you can mix and match however you like! Use the pesto to add pizzazz to your sandwiches. Or add 1 tablespoon to your favorite vinaigrette to amp up the flavor. (Or, of course, you can stir some into a bowl of cooked pasta.)
Food processor (adult needed)
Rubber spatula, for scraping
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl of the food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until the mixture is well chopped. Stop and use the spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl if anything is getting stuck.
- Use right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
To toast nuts:
Put them on a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven until they are fragrant and look a shade darker, about 5 minutes.
- Substitute basil and/or parsley leaves for the spinach
- Substitute 1 cup cilantro and 1 bunch scallions for the spinach, and ricotta for the feta or cheddar cheese
- Substitute pecans or pine nuts for the walnuts or almonds
Did you come up with your own version? Write to us about it! firstname.lastname@example.org