Dates are the fruit of the date palm. They are dark reddish brown, oval-shaped, and about 1½ inches long. Date trees can grow up to 100 feet tall and die when they can't hold their own weight! Add dates to shakes to make them sweet, thick, and delicious!
- Butter knife
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- 1 small overripe banana, best if pre-frozen and sliced
- 2 tablespoons almond or peanut butter
- 4 dates, pitted
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup cold water or milk
- 4 ice cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put the banana, almond butter (if you're not allergic to nuts), dates and 1/2 cup yogurt in the blender. Put the top on tightly. Turn on the blender to medium speed and blend until the mixture is smooth, 30-60 seconds.
- Turn the machine off and add the remaining ½ cup yogurt, water or milk, ice cubes, and vanilla extract.
- Put the top on tightly, turn on the blender to medium speed and blend until the ice is chopped and the mixture is smooth, 30-60 seconds. (It's okay if some of the dates don't get completely blended.)
- Divide the smoothie equally between 4 glasses and serve right away, or keep covered and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
DID YOU KNOW? Dates not only taste great, they're great for you! Don't have dates? You can use the same amount of prunes or dried apricots instead. Pitted dates means "with the pit removed." The pit — the hard part in the center of the fruit — is a seed. It can be taken out easily by pulling the date apart with your fingers. Some dates are sold with pits already removed.