Sliced Avocado with Vinaigrette
This is as simple as it gets, with the tangy dressing perfectly complementing the rich avocado. The only trick is to eat it right away; avocados get brown quickly once they’re cut open.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Cut and peel the avocado like this:
- Cut around the avocado, end to end, with the sharp knife, slicing all the way to the pit.
- Twist the halves to separate them.
- Cut the half with the pit in half again, then remove the pit.
- Use the spoon to separate the avocado from its peel, then slice it as thin as you like.
2. Put the avocado on a plate and spoon a little dressing over it. Eat right away.
Click here for Make-It-Your-Way Salad Dressing recipe.
What Makes Avocado So Super?
Creamy, dreamy avocados are not just delicious — they’re great for you too. People went through a phase of worrying that avocados weren’t healthy because they have fat in them. But you know what? The type of fat that’s in an avocado is actually really healthy (as long as you eat a moderate amount of it). Plus, avocados contain the antioxidant lutein, which is good for your eyes and skin, as well as heart-healthy fiber. Mash an avocado to make guacamole or to stand in for mayonnaise in your favorite sandwich or potato salad; dice an avocado to jazz up salsa or salads; or slice one up to top your burger or, like we do here, to eat nearly plain.