Roasted Root Veggies
Roasted Root Vegetables
We love serving these root vegetables with chicken, but you can also eat them cold, by themselves, or paired with pasta or rice, and even in frittatas. Feel free to add or substitute other root vegetables such as turnips or parsnips.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Measuring spoons
- Large bowl
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Large spoon or spatula
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 russet potatoes or sweet potatoes (or a combination), scrubbed and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 425 degrees.
- Put the onion, carrots, potatoes, olive oil, salt, and pepper in the bowl and mix well.
- Dump the contents of the bowl onto the baking sheet, making sure the vegetables are in a single layer, not crowded on top of each other.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the vegetables are deeply colored on the outside and tender inside, about 45 minutes.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
"Diced" means cut up into cubes or squares about the size of dice.