Roasted Cauliflower-Spinach Soup
cWe developed this recipe to use up extra Roasted Cauliflower, but if you’re a cauliflower lover like we are you might want to roast two — one to eat and one for soup. If you’re not a fan, you must try this recipe because it will surely convert you!
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Blender (adult needed)
Clean dish towel
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put the roasted cauliflower, broth, celery, and scallions in the pot on the stove and turn the heat to high. Bring to a boil (you’ll know it’s boiling because you’ll see little bubbles breaking at the surface). Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove half the solids, using the slotted spoon, and put them in the blender. Do not fill more than halfway. Put the top on but remove the little cap in the center. Cover the hole loosely with the dish towel. Turn the blender to the lowest speed and increase the speed as the soup purees. Blend until smooth. Add the remaining solids and blend again.
- Add the yogurt or milk and blend again, then pour the soup back into the pot and taste it. Does it need a pinch of salt? If so, add it and taste again. Reheat gently over low heat, then serve right away or cover and refrigerate overnight.
For extra flavor, add 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese.
- A dollop of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil, parsley, or cilantro leaves
- A spoonful of pesto