Purple Cabbage Slaw
Purple cabbage, also known as red cabbage, has a strong taste so if you aren’t a cabbage eater you might want to make this with the more delicate green or Savoy cabbage first—or you can start with a bag of coleslaw mix, which is just shredded cabbage and carrots.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Box grater (adult needed)
Large spoon or tongs, for tossing
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Cut the cabbage in half and put each half, flat side down, on the cutting board.
- Cut each half into the thinnest slices you are able to.
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl and toss well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Add 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil and 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Add 1 cup shredded, cooked chicken (to make it a meal)
- Add 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you like spicy)