This makes a wonderful gift for anyone who might like a fresh-tasting, bright green spreadable sauce in the middle of winter! It goes well with many dishes, including meat and fish, grains and pasta, roasted vegetables, and scrambled eggs. It’s also delicious on a sandwich or mixed into Hummus or a basic salad dressing.Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Pull off all the leaves and thin stems from the parsley. Throw away only the thick stems.
- Wash the parsley and dry it well. Use a salad spinner, or shake the parsley dry in a colander and then roll it in a clean dish towel to soak up more water.
- Put the parsley leaves and thin stems in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade or in a blender and pulse (turn the machine on and off) until they are completely chopped, about 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and salt and pulse again.
- Slowly, while the machine is running, add the vinegar or lemon juice and the oil and process until smooth and bright green, about 1 minute. Use the spatula to scrape down the sides and process again.
- Scrape the puree into the jar and screw on the lid. Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to gift, up to 1 week.
• Make it Citrusy: add the grated zest of 1 lemon or orange.
• Turn it into pesto: add 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, almonds, or pine nuts and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
• Substitute fresh basil for the parsley.
Give your gift with a little tag explaining what’s in it and how to use it.