Onigirazu Rice ‘Sandwich’
Onigiri is a Japanese snack made from rice that’s shaped into a ball and filled with a tasty ingredient. Onigirazu is onigiri that’s wrapped in seaweed, which makes it even easier—and more fun—to eat. It also travels really well, making it a great on-the-go snack!Newsletter Sign Up
- Put each nori sheet on a piece of plastic wrap about twice the size of the nori sheet.
- Wet your fingers with cold water (this will keep the rice from sticking to your hands). Put 1⁄2 cup rice in the center of each sheet and form it into a diamond shape. Sprinkle each with half the sesame seeds and half the salt. Put one basil leaf on top of each and/or whatever other fillings you’re using (see “Get Creative” below).
- Top each with another 1⁄2 cup rice, form a matching diamond shape, and press down slightly with your wet fingers.
- To make each “sandwich,” take two opposite corners of the nori and bring them into the center, then take the other two corners and bring them in so that you have a square package. Wrap tightly in the plastic wrap. Let rest 1 minute, then cut in half, or refrigerate up to overnight
Try filling each onigirazu with:
- 1/4 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 fried egg
- 2 thin slices cooked chicken
- 2 thin cucumber slices
- 2 slices smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons shredded raw or pickled cabbage
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger
- 1 tablespoon shredded carrot