Add spinach or kale to your smoothie and it looks like something that oozed out of a swamp — but it tastes great, and has monster nutrition.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Blender (adult needed)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 overripe banana, sliced; if you can plan ahead, freeze the peeled banana before making the smoothie
- 1 apple, cored* and chopped
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds or walnuts (if you like)
- Put all the ingredients in the blender.
- Put the top on tightly. Turn on the blender to medium speed and blend until the mixture is smooth, 30-60 seconds.
- Divide the smoothie equally between 4 glasses and serve right away, or store in a thermos or covered in the fridge up to 4 hours.
Strip the ruffly leaves off the kale's stems by grasping the bottom of each stem and pulling your hand up along it forcefully. The leaves will come off and leave behind the tough stems, which you can throw away. *"Cored" means with the core and seeds taken out.