Lentil Soup with Spinach and Coconut
It’s surprising to see a drink made with cucumbers, but just wait until you try it! The cucumbers themselves are refreshing and a little bit sweet, and with a squeeze of lemon, they make the perfect drink to welcome spring. BY ADAM RIED
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Potato masher or wooden spoon
- Mesh strainer
- 4 glasses
- 1 english cucumber, peeled, trimmed, and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 3 1/2 cups cold water
- ice cubes
- Set aside 4 cucumber slices for garnish and put the rest in the bowl. Add the lemon slices and salt.
- Use the potato masher or wooden spoon to mash the cucumber and lemon really hard until they are completely crushed and very juicy, 2 to 3 minutes
- Set the strainer over the pitcher and add the mashed cucumbers and lemons and all their liquid. Use the wooden spoon to mash the mixture to release as much liquid as possible (you should have about 1/2 cup, but don’t worry if it’s less). Throw away or compost the solids from the strainer.
- Add the honey and stir until it has dissolved.
- Add the water and stir to blend.
- Divide the lemonade between the glasses and add ice cubes, then garnish each glass with a reserved cucumber slice.