We like recipes where everything is thrown in a bowl and mixed around and is then ready to eat. This simple, delicious salad is one of those recipes. Some people like to massage the kale salad with their clean hands to soften it up a bit. Feel free! Or just let it sit for a while, and the dressing will tenderize it.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Large bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Grater (optional)
- Tongs or salad servers
- 5 or 6 large kale leaves, washed, the excess water shaken off (enough to make 4 cups chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 apple, cored and shredded or chopped
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds or walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Strip the ruffly leaves off of the kale’s stems by grasping the bottom of each stem and pulling your hand up along it forcefully. The leaves will come off and leave behind the tough stems, which you can throw away.
- Stack and bunch the leaves together on the cutting board and use the knife to cut across the stack so that you end up with skinny slivers of kale.
- Put the kale in the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and toss (“toss” means to mix together lightly) using tongs or salad servers. Taste the salad and add a pinch more salt or a squeeze of lemon if you think it needs it.
- Serve right away.