Whether you’re planning your family movie night or just craving something to munch after school, popcorn’s your go-to. It’s fun to make it yourself! And it’s whole-grain and inexpensive too. Our method is easy once you get the hang of it: just read through the steps before you start, and then try to follow them pretty exactly.Newsletter Sign Up
- Put the oil in the pot and add 2 popcorn kernels. Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
- Cover the pot and wait for the 2 kernels to pop, 3–4 minutes. Once they pop, turn off the heat and take the pot off the stove. Now you know the oil is hot enough to pop the kernels evenly.
- Put the rest of the popcorn kernels in the pot and put on the lid. Using the pot holders to hold the lid in place, shake the pot well (you might need your adult for this). Leave the pot for 1 minute to heat up the kernels.
- Turn the heat back to medium-high, and wait. Using the pot holders to hold the lid in place, give the pot a good shake every now and then.
- After a few minutes, the popcorn will start popping—slowly at first, and then almost all at once. Once the popping has slowed down almost to a stop (this will take about a minute), take the pot off the heat and set it aside to finish popping for 1 minute.
- Add salt and/or your favorite seasoning and give the pot one last shake, then pour the popcorn into the bowl.
Season your popcorn with one or more of these. Start with 1 teaspoon and shake it around, then taste it and add more if you like:
- Curry powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
- Celery salt
- Grated lime zest
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Your favorite seasoning blend (Italian, Cajun, taco, Old Bay, etc.)