Make a jar of this bright-tasting, green-flecked salad dressing — and then use it to make something else! We use the vinaigrette in a number of recipes in this issue — the Build-Your-Own Grain Salad, Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes, and Three Sisters Salad — but it’s also great as a dip for raw vegetables and, of course, to dress a simple green salad.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Glass jar or blender or food processor (adult needed)
- 2 tablespoons any-herb pesto or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, cilantro, or mint
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- Put all the ingredients in a jar and shake, shake, shake
- Or: Put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk, whisk, whisk.
- Or: Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and put the top on tightly. Turn the machine on and blend.
- Taste the dressing on a leaf of lettuce. Does it need more oil, more lemon juice or vinegar, or a pinch of salt? If so, add it and taste again.
- Use right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.