We call this a lab instead of a recipe because you’re going to be experimenting! What are the flavors you like best in your guacamole? Add them! If you’re not sure, put a spoonful of the guacamole on a plate, then add just a pinch of your chosen spice or ingredient. If you like it, consider seasoning the whole batch that way. Serve the guacamole with whole-grain chips or vegetables for dipping—or use it to top nachos, tacos, burritos, or quesadillas.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Small bowl
- 1 perfectly ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Put the avocado in the bowl and mash it with the fork until it has the texture you like best.
- Add the lime juice, salt, and any additional ingredients you like (see below) and mash again. Taste the guacamole. Does it need a bit more seasoning or a squeeze more lime juice? Add it and then taste again. Serve right away.
GET CREATIVE Add some or all of the following to your guacamole:
- Finely chopped garlic (or garlic powder)
- Chopped red onion
- Diced tomato
- Chopped jalapeño
- Slivered scallions
- Chopped cilantro leaves
- Chili powder