Looking to change up your school lunch? Try making this green sandwich! You can vary the ingredients, of course, according to what you like and have on hand. And you can make it even greener by using a spinach wrap instead of bread (and by leaving out the tomato).
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Toaster (adult needed)
- Small spoon
- 2 slices whole-wheat or multigrain bread, toasted
- 1⁄4 ripe avocado, pit removed
- black pepper
- 4 thin cucumber slices
- 2 thin tomato slices
- 1 large lettuce leaf
- 1 slice cheese (any kind)
- Use the spoon to scoop the avocado out of the peel. Put the scooped avocado flesh on one piece of toast and use the fork to mash it gently and spread it so it covers the toast.
- Sprinkle the avocado with a tiny bit of salt and pepper.
- Arrange the cucumber slices over the avocado, then add the tomato slices, lettuce leaf, and cheese.
- Top with the other slice of toast and gently press down to help the sandwich hold together. Cut the sandwich in half and serve right away.
OR ELSE Swap in a spoonful of hummus, a sliced hard-cooked egg, or a piece of turkey for the cheese.