Green Salad and Herb Vinaigrette
This salad is also great with lemony dressing.
Servings plus extra vinaigrette
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Glass jar with lid or small bowl and whisk
Tongs or salad servers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herb leaves, such as basil, parsley, cilantro, or mint
1⁄2 cup olive oil
1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice or red wine vinegar
1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 head romaine lettuce, core removed, leaves washed and torn into bite-size pieces
pinch black pepper
1 tomato, cored and chopped
1 English cucumber, sliced
1 apple (any kind), scrubbed, cored, and diced
1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, or crumbled feta or goat cheese
- To make the Herb Vinaigrette: Put everything in the jar, screw the lid on tight, and shake, shake, shake.
Or: Put everything in the bowl and whisk, whisk, whisk.
- Taste the dressing on a leaf of lettuce. Does it need more oil, more lemon juice or vinegar, or a pinch of salt? If so, add it and taste again.
- To make the Green Salad: Put the romaine, tomato, cucumber, apple and cheese in the bowl.
- Add 3- 4 tablespoons Herb Vinaigrette and mix until the lettuce leaves are well coated.
- Serve right away. Cover and refrigerate extra Vinaigrette for up to two weeks.