Green Egg Bake
We like recipes where the oven does most of the work for you—and that’s true for this baked egg dish, an easy breakfast, lunch, or dinner that’s as good cold as it is hot.Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 350 degrees. Using your clean hand or a paper towel, grease the baking pan with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Put the skillet on the stove, turn the heat to medium, and carefully add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and softened, about 7 minutes. Add the spinach, and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Set aside until cool, about 10 minutes.
- Put the eggs, salt, and pepper in the bowl and, using the fork or whisk, mix well.
- Add the cooled spinach mixture and cheese, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and carefully move it to the oven.
- Bake until the top is golden and the eggs are set, 25–30 minutes. (To see if the eggs are set, use pot holders to jiggle the pan back and forth: you should not see the eggs moving around as if they’re still liquid in the center.)
- Serve warm or at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
Instead of spinach, add other favorite greens like shredded kale, chard, or mustard greens.
You can also add 1 cup chopped asparagus (raw or cooked), shredded zucchini, diced cooked sweet potatoes, or corn kernels, frozen or cut fresh from the cob.
Add 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley leaves, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or mint leaves, or 1 tablespoon chopped dill.