This light, refreshing drink has a wonderful, puckery edge from the grapefruit juice. Adding a touch of vanilla extract and a little sweetener helps balance the grapefruit’s tartness. For even more citrus flavor, mix in a bit of fresh orange juice or use a citrus-flavored seltzer water. By Adam Ried
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Spoon, for stirring
- 4 glasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups grapefruit juice (or mixture of orange and grapefruit juice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (if you like it a little sweeter)
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold seltzer water (unflavored or orange- or grapefruit-flavored)
- ice cubes
- Put the grapefruit juice, vanilla extract, and honey or maple syrup (if using) in the pitcher, and stir until the honey or syrup dissolves.
- Add the seltzer and stir gently (be careful because it can foam up and overflow).
- Pour into glasses, add ice cubes, and serve right away.