Broccoli and spinach are like the Batman and Robin of the vegetable world — a totally dynamic duo that makes a soup with nutritional super powers and fantastic flavor. Pow!Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- Put the pot on the stove, turn the heat to medium, and carefully add the oil or butter.
- Add the onion, garlic, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high and add the broccoli stems, tomatoes, chicken stock, and half the spinach, and bring the pot to a boil.
- Once the pot is boiling, lower the heat to low and cook until the broccoli stems are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and the other half of the spinach and cook until the florets are tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Set the soup aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Use the slotted spoon to remove half the solids from the soup pot and put them into a food processor or blender.
- Process or blend while gradually adding the rest of the broth until the soup is smooth. (You will have to do this twice.) Put the blended soup into another container.
- Serve the soup right away with lemon slices on top, or transfer to the container and refrigerate up to 2 days.
Spinach is grown in sand and needs to be washed very well or it can be gritty! Fill the sink with cold water and swish the spinach around to clean it, then pull it out of the water and drain it in a colander. Repeat if necessary.