Make the most of what you’ve got by transforming stale bread into everyone’s favorite salad topper.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Large bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Pot holders
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 slices whole-grain bread (stale is fine), cut into 1-inch squares
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 375 degrees.
- Put the oil and salt in the bowl and mix well.
- Add the bread squares and toss until the bread is completely coated. Spread out the bread on the baking sheet.
- Once the oven temperature has reached 375 degrees, put the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the croutons are just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully take the baking sheet out of the oven and use the tongs to flip the croutons over, then put them back in the oven and bake until deeply browned and crisp, another 5 minutes or so.
- Let the croutons cool completely before serving. They can be stored in an airtight container up to 3 days.