Green Monster Stir- Fry
We have Kids Advisory Board member Beckett to thank for the name of this recipe, which his whole family loved. Cabbage might surprise you. It’s sweeter than you might have thought, and when you stir-fry it until it’s a little tender but still a little crisp, it’s delicious. Serve this as a side dish, or add some cubed tofu, serve it on top of polenta, and call it dinner.
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Large skillet or wok
- Wooden spoon or heatproof spatula
- Measuring spoons
- Pot holders
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil plus 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium head napa cabbage or 1/2 medium head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (if you like spicy) (if you like spicy)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (if you have them)
- Put the skillet or wok on the stove, turn the heat to medium, and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook until just golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook, stirring frequently, until the darker green parts are bright green and the cabbage is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and crushed red pepper (if using). Sprinkle with the sesame seeds (if you like) and serve right away.
OR ELSE No sesame seeds? No problem. Skip them, or swap in chopped roasted peanuts or almonds.