For something delicious, try turkey, pork, or lamb.Newsletter Sign Up
Hands-on time: 20 | Total time: 20 | Makes: 4 Servings
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put the raw meat on the cutting board and divide into 4 balls of equal size.
- Gently press down each ball to form a patty about 3/4-1 inch thick.
- Using your thumb, make a half-inch dent about the size of a quarter in the middle of each side. (Handle the patties as little as possible, and wash hands after touching raw meat.)
- Sprinkle both sides of the patties with salt (and pepper if you like).
- Put a skillet on the stove and turn the heat to high. Wait two minutes for the pan to heat up, and then add the patties to the dry pan.
- Cook until crusty brown on the outside, about 5 minutes, and then flip the patties and cook until crusty brown on the other side – and heated throughout – another 5 minutes.
- Put the bottom half of each roll on a big plate, and top each with a burger. Top each burger with a tomato slice, onion slice, and a lettuce leaf. Add ketchup, mustard or other condiments, cheeses, or vegetables. Then cover with the tops of the rolls.