Cornbread is super delicious with chili but also great with any kind of soup or stew. Although cornbread is heavily featured in the Southern United States, it originated with Native Americans, who learned to cook with cornmeal well before Europeans came to this country.Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 400 degrees. Lightly grease the baking pan with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Put the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt in the large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Put the eggs, buttermilk, remaining 1/4 cup oil, and maple syrup in the small bowl and mix well. Be sure the eggs are completely mixed.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Once the oven temperature has reached 400 degrees, put the pan in the oven.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cut into 9 pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Dice it up and toast it for salad croutons.