Crunchy Herbed Tuna Salad
The cucumbers and herbs make this tuna salad light and summery, and the zippy oil-and-vinegar dressing keeps it that way. It’s delicious in a sandwich or scooped onto a bed of greens.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Strainer or colander
Spoon, for mixing
- Put the onion and vinegar in the small bowl, stir well, and set aside for 15 minutes. (This will help the onion to mellow so it’s not so sharp-tasting.)
- Put the oil, dill, mustard, and salt in the medium-sized bowl and mix well.
- Add the tuna, cucumber, and celery, and mix well.
- Add the onion and vinegar and mix again.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to overnight.
Try the following to make it:
Beany: Add 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed.
Herbier: Pull the leaves out from inside your bunch of celery, and chop 2 tablespoons. Add them in addition to (or instead of ) the dill.
Sweet: Add 1⁄2 cup seedless grapes, cut in half.