Crunchy Herbed Tuna Salad
The cucumbers and herbs make this tuna salad light and summery, and the zippy oil-and-vinegar dressing keeps it that way. It’s delicious in a sandwich or scooped onto a bed of greens.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Strainer or colander
Spoon, for mixing
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put the onion and vinegar in the small bowl, stir well, and set aside for 15 minutes. (This will help the onion to mellow so it’s not so sharp-tasting.)
- Put the oil, dill, mustard, and salt in the medium-sized bowl and mix well.
- Add the tuna, cucumber, and celery, and mix well.
- Add the onion and vinegar and mix again.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to overnight.
Try the following to make it:
Beany: Add 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed.
Herbier: Pull the leaves out from inside your bunch of celery, and chop 2 tablespoons. Add them in addition to (or instead of ) the dill.
Sweet: Add 1⁄2 cup seedless grapes, cut in half.