Cold Cucumber and Avocado Soup
Gazpacho is the famous cold soup from Spain that’s usually made with tomatoes. But you can make all kinds of cold soups! This one is creamy-dreamy from the avocado and yogurt, with just a little kick from the scallions and (if you use it) the hot sauce.Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender.
- Put the top on tightly. Turn the blender to a medium setting and blend until the mixture is as chunky or smooth as you like (a few big pulses for chunky, or about 1 minute for smooth). Taste the soup. Does it need more lime juice or a pinch of salt? If so, add it and taste again.
- Serve right away or, if you can wait, chill the soup, covered, for 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
Try garnishing the soup with one or more of the following:
- Kernels of fresh or frozen corn
- Finely diced cucumber or avocado
- Diced mango
- Chopped fresh cilantro, parsley or mint leaves, or chives
- Slivered scallion greens
- Toasted green pumpkin seeds (also called “pepitas”) (To toast raw seeds, shake them in a small, dry pan over medium heat until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.)
- A drizzle of olive oil