Great versions of hummus are available in most grocery stores, but we encourage you to make your own: it’s easy, quick, and, best of all, you can tweak it to make it however you like best! Offer it as a dip with cut-up raw vegetables or pita chips. Our Kids Advisory Board member Clare served the olive-y version at a party and called it “a big success!”Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put the chickpeas and garlic in the bowl of the food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until the chickpeas are finely chopped.
- Add the tahini, cumin, and salt and process until combined.
- Add the water, oil, and lemon juice and process until it is silky-smooth. Add an extra tablespoon of water if it’s not as smooth as you like. Now taste the hummus: does it need a pinch of salt or squeeze of lemon? If so, add it and then taste again.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 4 days.
No food processor? No problem! You can make this recipe in a blender, though you may need to stop the blender and loosen the ingredients with a spoon or spatula. You can also make it using a mortar and pestle.
• Make it Olive-y: Add 2 tablespoons chopped green or black olives.
• Make it Citrusy: Add the grated zest of 1 lemon, lime, or orange.
• Make it Peppery: Add 1 chopped roasted red bell pepper.
• Make it Spicy: Add 1 chopped jalapeño or 1 teaspoon hot sauce.