A classic beef burger is simple and perfect and so much better than anything you can buy. Plus, you can top it with whatever you like!
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put the raw beef on the cutting board and divide into 4 balls of equal size.
- Gently press down each ball to form a patty about 3⁄4 to 1 inch thick.
- Using your thumb, make a 1⁄2-inch dent about the size of a quarter in the middle of each side.
- Sprinkle both sides of the patties with salt and pepper, if using.
- Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to high. When the skillet is hot, add the patties to the dry skillet. Be sure to wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw beef.
- Cook until the patties are crusty brown on the outside, about 5 minutes. Flip them over and cook until crusty brown on the other side, another 5 minutes. If you’re using cheese, add it for the final minute so that it has a chance to melt.
- Put the bottom half of each burger bun on a big plate and top each with a burger. Top the burger with a tomato slice and a lettuce leaf. Then cover with the top of the bun. Serve right away.
Tip: handle the meat gently (no squeezing!) and as little as possible because this will keep your burger tender.
ADD: Ketchup and mustard or our 5 special toppings:
- Raw or caramelized purple onions (sharp-tasting raw, mellow when cooked)
- Avocado slices (creamy and a little sweet)
- Raw or roasted red peppers (crunchy when raw, tender and sweet when cooked)
- Raw or cooked mushrooms (earthy-tasting)
- Salsa (sharp, sweet, and spicy)