Chickpeas With Spinach
We love chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, for their great nutty flavor and their versatility. This particular dish is a favorite; it’s super easy to adapt and can be eaten hot or cold, alone or on top of steamed rice or noodles.Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When the skillet is hot, add the oil.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic (if you’re using fresh) and cook until the onion is soft and golden, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture starts to stick, add 1-2 tablespoons water.
- Add the chickpeas and water and cook 5 minutes. (If you’re using garlic powder, add it now).
- Remove the skillet from the stove, add the spinach and stir until wilted. Add the vinegar and salt. Now taste the chickpeas. Do they need an extra squeeze of lemon or a pinch of salt? If so, add it and then taste again.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature.
Make it Spicy: Add teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or 1 tablespoon hot sauce when you add the vinegar.
Make it Cheesy: Add 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta or grated Parmesan cheese when you add the vinegar.