Chicken broth is readily available at any grocery store, but it’s great to make from scratch if you’ve just made a roasted chicken. Make sure to use the leftovers from a carved chicken and not from your plate.Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- Place all the ingredients, except for the salt, in a large pot and generously cover with cold water.
- Turn the heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until the mixture comes to a slow boil.
- Lower the heat to very low and continue cooking, partially covered, for 3 hours. Do not let it boil again.
- Strain and discard the solids. Transfer to a large container, cover, and refrigerate.
- When the stock has completely cooled, skim off and discard the hardened fat. Add salt to taste.
- Transfer to a container, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days or freeze up to 6 months.