Cheesy Roasted Asparagus
Making this for someone else? Give them ketchup and call it "asparagus fries," if you think that will encourage them to try it!
Rimmed baking sheet
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 450 degrees.
- Put the asparagus on the baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt. Use the tongs or your clean hands to coat them with the oil and spread them out.
- Once the oven temperature has reached 450 degrees, put the baking sheet in the oven and roast until the asparagus turns bright green, 5-10 minutes depending on whether your asparagus are thin or thick.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Sprinkle the cheese over the asparagus and toss well.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and roast until the cheese melts and turns golden, about 2 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon over the asparagus and serve.
The bottom ends of asparagus stalks are woody. To remove them, bend each raw stalk near the bottom until it snaps. (It’ll break off at just the right point.)