Carrots add a natural sweetness to cake so you need less sugar. Try them with delicious maple cream cheese icing!
- Measuring spoons
- Mixer or large bowl
- 2 ounce scoop or tablespoon
- Table knife
- Measuring cups
- Box grater
- Cupcake liners
- 12-cup muffin tin
- 1⁄2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, honey, agave or maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 pound carrots, scrubbed and grated (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped lightly toasted pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 350 degrees.
- Put cupcake liners in 12 cupcake or muffin tins.
- Put the oil, sugar, and eggs in the large bowl or in a stand mixer with paddles attached.
- Beat the mixture until everything is evenly blended.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Using the scoop, fill each of the prepared muffin tins 2/3 of the way to the top.
- Once the oven temperature has reached 350 degrees, put the muffin tins in the oven and bake 22-25 minutes or until the tops are slightly browned and rounded. (When they’re done, a toothpick should come out clean.)
- Let sit until cool (10-15 minutes). Then remove the cupcakes from the tins.
DID YOU KNOW? Carrots have been used to sweeten cakes since medieval times when pure sugar was too expensive.