Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Silky smooth, slightly sweet, and super-easy to make (at least once you’ve mastered blending), this soup is a fall favorite. We don’t usually recommend using vegetables that are pre-cut, but for butternut squash we make an exception: winter squash can be hard to peel and cut, and ready-to-use squash is available in many grocery stores. You can also, if you like, use carrots or sweet potatoes for all or part of the squash.
Large heavy-bottomed pot
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Blender or food processor (adult needed)
- Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When it is hot, carefully add the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, curry powder, and basil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, apple, and broth and raise the heat to high; bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook until the squash is very tender, 45 minutes. Set aside to cool down a bit, at least 15 minutes, at room temperature. Stir occasionally to help the mixture cool.
- Using the slotted spoon, very carefully remove the soup solids and put them in the blender or food processor. Do not fill more than halfway.
- If you are using a blender, put the top on but remove the little cap in the center. If using a food processor, leave the plunger out (both will allow the steam to escape). Cover the hole loosely with a clean dish towel. Turn the blender to the lowest speed and increase the speed as the soup purees. Gradually add the cooking liquid. Blend or process until completely smooth.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Did you know? The word curry comes from the southern Indian word kari, meaning "sauce," and refers to a variety of spicy, gravy-based dishes from Southeast Asia. But it also refers to leaves from the curry tree, which smell of tangerine and are rarely found outside of India. Or curry powder, used here, which is a British invention, designed to imitate the flavor of Indian foods. Curry powder is a mixture of spices that includes any or all of the following: cumin, coriander, black pepper, chiles, fenugreek, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and salt.