Black Cocoa Banana Mini-Breads
Rich and chocolatey. Mmmm.
Large spoon or rubber spatula
4 mini loaf pans or 1 standard loaf pan
Mixer (if you have one)
1 cup whole wheat flour
3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
4 over-ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
1⁄4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (if you are not allergic to nuts)
- With the help of your adult, turn on the oven and set it to 350 degrees.
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Put the bananas and sugar in a bowl and mash mash mash until the mixture is completely combined and there are no big chunks of banana. If you have a mixer, add them to the mixer and with the help of your adult, turn it on and whip for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butter, eggs and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture, a little at a time and mix by hand, with a spatula or large spoon until well combined. If you dump the flour in too quickly, it will poof up out of the mixer!
- Add the nuts, if no one is allergic to them.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans and with the help of your adult, put them in the oven.
- Bake until firm in the center and a toothpick inserted comes out with a bit of crumb on it, 35-40 minutes. (Time is one hour if you use a standard loaf pan).