Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
A quesadilla is like a Mexican grilled cheese sandwich — with tortillas instead of bread. Serve this with salsa, if you like!
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Box grater (adult needed)
Colander or strainer
Small mixing bowl
Large nonstick skillet
Large plate, for serving
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put the tortillas on the cutting board and sprinkle half the cheese over half of each one.
- Put the beans, corn, and scallions in the mixing bowl, and mix well with the spoon.
- Sprinkle half the bean and corn mixture over the cheese on each tortilla, then fold the tortilla to make a half-moon shape.
- Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium-low. Add the quesadillas and press down gently with the spatula. Cook until they are spotty brown and crisp and the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes per side.
- Put them on the cutting board and cut into wedges. Serve right away.
• a spoonful of plain yogurt
• a sprinkle of fresh, leafy herbs such as cilantro, basil, or chives
• a dash of hot sauce
• a handful of baby spinach