Beans give you protein for muscles and carbohydrates for energy.Newsletter Sign Up
Hands-on time: 20 | Total time: 20 | Makes: 4 Servings
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put the black beans in a bowl and using a fork, mash until chunky.
- Crack the egg into a separate large mixing bowl and, using a fork, mix until the color is all the same.
- Add the chunky black beans, then add the rice, barley or bread crumbs, scallions, cilantro or basil leaves, garlic, cumin, oregano or basil, and olive oil and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each into a patty about 3/4-1 inch thick. Sprinkle the patties with salt and, if using, pepper.
- Put a skillet on the stove and turn the heat to high. Wait two minutes for the pan to get hot and then add the patties to the dry pan. Cook until browned on both sides and heated throughout, 4-5 minutes on each side. You can serve them alone or on buns like the meat burgers. Add lettuce, tomato, and any other toppings.