Beans give you protein for muscles and carbohydrates for energy.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
1 16 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed with cold water
1 large egg
1⁄2 cup leftover/cooked rice, barley, or panko bread crumbs
2 scallions, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or basil leaves, or a combination, rinsed with cold water
1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin, or more to taste
1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
1 teaspoon olive oil
1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, if you like
- Put the black beans in a bowl and using a fork, mash until chunky.
- Crack the egg into a separate large mixing bowl and, using a fork, mix until the color is all the same.
- Add the chunky black beans, then add the rice, barley or bread crumbs, scallions, cilantro or basil leaves, garlic, cumin, oregano or basil and olive oil and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form each into a patty about 3/4-1 inch thick. Sprinkle the patties with salt and, if using, pepper.
- With the help of an adult, put a skillet on the stove and turn the heat to high. Wait two minutes for the pan to get hot and then add the patties to the dry pan. Cook until browned on both sides and heated throughout, 4-5 minutes on each side. You can serve them alone or on buns like the meat burgers. Add lettuce, tomato and any other toppings.