If what you crave is spicy and salty, then this is the snack for you! These have all of the flavors of our favorite packaged snacks, but they’re homemade, extra-crunchy, and packed with nutrients. They make a great salad-topper too. Kids Advisory Board member Amine added spicy cayenne pepper to her chickpeas and said, “It tasted really good.”
- Can opener
- Colander or strainer
- Paper towels or clean dish towel
- Measuring spoons
- Small bowl
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Pot holders
- 1 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 325 degrees.
- Put a layer of paper towels on the countertop and add the drained chickpeas. Roll them around to dry them.
- Put the spices and salt in the bowl and mix well.
- Put the chickpeas on the baking sheet, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle with half the spice mixture, and mix well. Set aside the remaining spice mixture.
- Once the oven temperature has reached 325 degrees, put the baking sheet in the oven. Bake until the chickpeas are crunchy and golden brown, 30 minutes to 1 hour (this will depend on how soft and/or wet your chickpeas are to begin), stirring or shaking them after 20 minutes to make sure they cook evenly.
- Remove them from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining spice mix, and mix well. Set aside to cool, then eat right away or store in a covered container for up to 1 day.