A quesadilla is like a grilled cheese sandwich, but you use a folded tortilla instead of two pieces of bread. It makes a good, quick lunch, or you can serve it with a salad for dinner. You can add any type of beans or fresh vegetables you like to the filling.Newsletter Sign Up
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your equipment and ingredients and put them on a counter.
- Put one tortilla on the large plate and sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded cheese over half of it. Try not to get the cheese too close to the edge of the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla over to make a half-moon shape.
- Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When the skillet is hot, add 1 teaspoon oil.
- Carefully, add the filled tortilla to the hot skillet and cook until the bottom is lightly browned and the cheese is gooey, about 2 minutes. Using the spatula, turn the tortilla over and cook another 2 minutes. Move the cooked tortilla to the serving plate.
- Repeat with the remaining tortilla, cheese, and oil. Serve right away.
Add any or all of these (1⁄4 cup total) to each tortilla when you add the cheese:
- Canned or cooked black beans
- Corn kernels
- Diced tomatoes or bell peppers
- Sliced or shredded cooked chicken
- Leftover cooked zucchini, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, or potatoes
- Baby spinach or kale